Monday 17 June 2024

Six Flags Great Adventure - June 8th and 9th, 2024

 From June 8th to June 13th, my Mom and I went on a road trip visiting four amusement parks in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Two of the amusement parks, Six Flags Great Adventure and Dorney Park I had previously visited, whereas HersheyPark and Kennywood were both new to me!

Below are photos of our time spent at Six Flags Great Adventure on the evening of June 8th and all day on June 9th! It was great being back since our last visit six years ago

Following an 8+ hour drive, we checked into our hotel then headed over to Six Flags Great Adventure for our first visit in almost six years!

From the parking lot, the skyline of the park had changed a bit with the recent construction of Flash: Vertical Velocity.

The 2024 season marks Six Flags Great Adventure's 50th anniversary as the park opened on July 1st, 1974 by Warner LeRoy, the original owner of Great Adventure.

Luckily Superman Ultimate Flight was operating during my visit as I didn't get to ride it in 2018 as it was closed both days.

Two years ago, a new security entrance structure to Six Flags Great Adventure was built. It looks very nice!

Here are the vertical towers on Flash: Vertical Velocity! Before my visit to Six Flags Great Adventure, I was aware that it would not be operating as it was only just built prior to my visit. It gives me a reason to return in the future as it is the first Vekoma Super Boomerang coaster in North America!

Here is a map of Six Fags Great Adventure for the 2024 season.

Since it is Six Flags Great Adventure's 50th anniversary, the park reintroduced the lion sign that used to stand out at the road during the park's early years. I love it when parks do these things!

I love it how compact the new Vekoma Super Boomerang coasters are! I'm sure Flash: Vertical Velocity will be a thrilling addition when it opens this summer!

Unfortunately the Giant Wheel was closed during our visit as it was undergoing a much needed refurbishment for its 50th anniversary!

In celebration of the Great Adventure's 50th anniversary, the park added small side shows such as the Tone Travelers, showcasing songs through the decades.

My main reason for visiting Six Flags Great Adventure this time around was to ride the Jersey Devil Coaster, a single rail RMC coaster that opened in 2021!

Unfortunately during this visit, the Jersey Devil Coaster was operating with only one train, making the wait to be approximately one hour on this busy Saturday evening.

But I can thankfully say the wait was worth it as the layout of the Jersey Devil Coaster is filled with tons of airtime and snappy inversions!

Throughout the park, there are many signs of Great Adventure's 50th anniversary!

On Dream Street, the park added a timeline showing many additions to Six Flags Great Adventure over the years.

The boardwalk section was still looking really good since my first visit to Great Adventure. The only difference this time was the Parachute tower was retired sometime over the last few years. Luckily I was able to ride it in 2018 as it was a neat ride!

To my surprise, the Twister, the last Huss Top Spin in the US is still operating! I love this ride as it continuously flips you upside down five or six times!

As mentioned earlier, Superman Ultimate Flight was closed during my first visit to Six Flags Great Adventure in 2018. Luckily it was open this time! It rode very well, just like Superman Ultimate Flight at Six Flags Great America did last summer. I love how forceful the pretzel loop is! This Superman Ultimate Flight became my 147th roller coaster!

Here's the Twister flipping passengers upside down under the evening sun!

Here's a Philly cheesesteak sandwich I had in the Boardwalk section. It was quite tasty and the fries were crispy.

I believe the Carousel's structure had received a repaint for the park's 50th anniversary. It looked very nice!

Unfortunately El Toro was not operating very much (if at all) during my visit. I really enjoyed the airtime on it six years ago. Also, Zumanjaro Drop Of Doom (attached to Kingda Ka) was also not operating either. All I can say is that I am thankful I got to ride them in 2018.

The Sawmill Log Flume was also closed during this visit as it undergoes a major refurbishment.

I finished the evening by riding the SkyScreamer, taking in the views of the lighted up rides down below.

Here's a photo of my Mom and I before heading out.

Sunday morning started out somewhat rainy, with on and off showers through noon.

I'll say it again how I love that the park brought this sign back for the 50th anniversary!

Between the rain showers, Porky and Petunia made an appearance. In honour of Great Adventure's 50th anniversary, supervisors and many of the park's costumed characters were wearing replicas of the original uniforms that employees wore when the park first opened. Petunia was wearing a skirt with the park's original colours.

Once the rides opened, I went over to Kingda Ka, getting on the first train of the day! The anticipation for the launch is still very intense! Afterwards I took a ride on Green Lantern in the rain!

On my way over to Nitro, it went down for a little while, so I took the time to ride the Roaring Rapids river rapids ride. Roaring Rapids opened with the park in 1981. In 1991, it was renamed Congo Rapids, a name it held until earlier this year! There seemed to be more rapids this time since my last visit in 2018!

Before getting on Nitro, I captured this photo of Batman The Ride. I would take a ride on it after riding Nitro.

Nitro still rides amazingly well like it had in 2018! The twisted pops of airtime are really fun! I would like to mention that Kara, a ride operator at Nitro was extremely enthusiastic and appeared to really like her job! 😊

Here is another look at the new-for-2024 Flash: Vertical Velocity. Unfortunately, Cyborg Cyberspin was closed due to the construction of Flash: Vertical Velocity. It was new when I visited in 2018 and provided many flips.

The year after I made my first visit to Great Adventure, Wonder Woman's Lasso of Truth debuted. It is a Zamperla Giant Discovery ride. For some reason its swings were a bit rough compared to other Zamperla Giant Discovery rides I have been on.

Here is my Mom and I taking a spin on the classic 1881 Frederick Savage Carousel. As you may know, it travelled England and Europe long before coming to Great Adventure.

Here is a closeup of a bit of the historical timeline in honour of the park's 50th anniversary! I really enjoy looking at historical photos of amusement parks.

The Runaway Mine Train has been operating since the park opened in 1974. It provides a rather wild ride for an Arrow Mine Train coaster. I made sure to ride it a few times during this visit as I really enjoyed it six years ago!

In the Frontier Adventures section, there was some live music performed by the Saw Mil Duo. it made the area much more livelier!

To my surprise, the Runaway Mine Train never really had a line as it (unfortunately) is one of a few coasters currently operating with two trains.

During my previous visit, Medusa was known as Bizarro. For the 2021 season, the Medusa name and theme came back with a green and orange colour scheme! The World's first floorless continues to ride well, despite operating with only one train during my visit.

On Sunday afternoon, the Flash! Bang! Brass! Band was playing sounds of many DC Comics character theme songs. They were very good!

Unfortunately the Skyway skyride at Six Flags Great Adventure was closed during our visit. rom what I understand, it has been closed for a few years now. It's a shame as it provides a nice relaxing view of the park. Hopefully it makes a return one day!

My second last ride of the day was on the SkyScreamer! I know quite a few people don't like these rides, but I really enjoy them!

Here's my Mom and I after a fun Sunday at Six Flags Great Adventure! Up next is our visit to Dorney Park! 🙂

Off-ride video of Twister:


No comments:

Post a Comment